
I am sure this is nothing new for you mothers out there, but I have found myself dealing with the constant worry and guilt of not providing nutritious meals for my family (myself definitely included). I've talked with several people and gotten some ideas, but none that I was ever really motivated to try. A few people had mentioned this book to me, but never really tried the recipes. I was pretty skeptical at first because it is the wife of a celebrity. "Please...she only got published because her husband is famous....". Last night I was at Barnes & Noble and was just curious so I looked for it. To my surprise as I flipped through the pages it looked legit with some decent looking meals!!!! Even more of a surprise was the price. I was expecting it to be at least $25 (which it really is), but Barnes & Noble sells it for $12! I decided the health of my family was worth at least this much so I purchased it. After reading carefully through, I am on a mission to try this out. I thought I would document this upcoming week on the blog just in case anyone is interested. If it is a success than my family will be healthier and if not maybe I can resell it on craigslist?
Her whole design is to "hide" healthy purees in delicious meals. The recipes I have selected for the week have the following hidden foods: butternut squash, yellow squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and flax-seed meal (whatever that is...I know my sister sneaks it into food though).
On a sidenote: In the book, I really like how she still encourages you to still serve regular looking vegetables with every meal and continue encouraging your children (and husband and self) to try the vegetables as one day they probably will. But at least you don't have to "force" or "nag" them as they will at least be getting the nutrients in a deceptive form. Deception. Yeah...I don't really like the word. Maybe I will call it Super Secrets. Or Tasty Tricks. Whatever. I figure at least this may motivate me to cook dinner every night which in itself is the biggest challenge. I am off to shop!!!!
Her whole design is to "hide" healthy purees in delicious meals. The recipes I have selected for the week have the following hidden foods: butternut squash, yellow squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and flax-seed meal (whatever that is...I know my sister sneaks it into food though).
On a sidenote: In the book, I really like how she still encourages you to still serve regular looking vegetables with every meal and continue encouraging your children (and husband and self) to try the vegetables as one day they probably will. But at least you don't have to "force" or "nag" them as they will at least be getting the nutrients in a deceptive form. Deception. Yeah...I don't really like the word. Maybe I will call it Super Secrets. Or Tasty Tricks. Whatever. I figure at least this may motivate me to cook dinner every night which in itself is the biggest challenge. I am off to shop!!!!
2 comments:
I can't wait to hear how it goes! This reminds me of when my mom had an abundance of zucchini and she put it in everything...desserts included.
Here's why I don't think it has to be called deception. I hide stuff in meals, but I'm really upfront about it. I say, you can either eat it like this, and I show them the vegetable in it's natural form. Or, you can eat it so you don't even notice it. By the way, you can buy flax seed in bulk at Costco. I just keep it in the freezer and dump it into pretty much everything I make.
Post a Comment